Public safety is at the foundation of all we do. The safety of the public around Xcel Energy’s natural gas system influences every decision we make. Xcel Energy takes a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures before, during and after construction.
The Northeast Metro Natural Gas Project has been designed to continue to meet federal and state standards and safety requirements for installing, maintaining and operating natural gas infrastructure.
During construction and installation of the natural gas line, we will take the following measures:
- Implement a corrosion prevention system designed to eliminate metal loss during the life of the natural gas line.
- Verify the integrity of the natural gas lines through x-ray of all pipe welds by an independent third party.
Once the natural gas line has been installed and prior to putting it into service, we will take the following steps:
- Conduct internal inspection of the natural gas lines with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Perform internal pressure tests using water to thoroughly verify the integrity of the new natural gas line.
During the lifetime of the natural gas line, the following occurs:
- Internally inspect natural gas lines at least every seven years with “in-line” inspection technology.
- Maintain remote monitoring (24/7) of the natural gas line via Xcel Energy’s staffed gas control center.
If you ever suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or business immediately. Once you are safely away, call 911, then Xcel Energy at 800-895-2999.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit: xcelenergy.com/Community/Public_Safety.