Construction began in spring 2019 and is expected to be completed in fall 2020 over two phases:
- Phase 1 (2019) — Century Avenue, south of Larpenteur Avenue, to County Road B and Prosperity Road.
- Phase 2 (2020) — County Road B and Prosperity Road to County Road B and Rice Street.
To construct the project, we install the natural gas lines by open trenching and boring. Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line in the trench.
Boring involves clearing an underground pathway through which a natural gas line is pulled or drilled.
Before placing natural gas lines into a trench or bore, sections of pipe are welded together and inspected by x-ray. Click here to see a graphic of open trenching and boring construction processes.
For Phase 2 construction, we will continue to use the temporary material storage area located on the west side of White Bear Avenue, south of Burke Avenue. Click here to see a map that shows the temporary materials storage areas.
We will notify landowner, businesses and residents before we start construction.
Things that you may come across during construction:
- Potholes that show where the underground utility lines are.
- Partial or complete road closures or detours.
- Changes to residential and business access.
- Noise during construction and testing.
We will work to reduce inconveniences during this work, and we will restore the work areas to community-approved guidelines.
Throughout the construction process, our team will provide regular updates via email (subscribe to our Northeast Metro Natural Gas Project email list by sending us an email), on our hotline at 833-676-4369 and on this website.
If you experience issues related to our construction, we want to hear from you. Please contact us directly at 833-676-4369 or via email at Info@XcelEnergyNEMetroGasProject.com.