Construction began in spring 2019 and is expected to be completed in fall 2022:
- Phase 1 (2019) — Century Avenue, south of Larpenteur Avenue, to County Road B and Prosperity Road.
- Phase 2 (2020) — County Road B and Prosperity Road to County Road B and Rice Street.
- Phases 3 and 4 (2021 and 2022) – County Road B and Rice Street to County Road C and Hamline Avenue.
To construct the project, we install the natural gas lines by open trenching and boring. Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line in the trench.
Boring involves clearing an underground pathway through which a natural gas line is pulled or drilled.
Before placing natural gas lines into a trench or bore, sections of pipe are welded together and inspected by x-ray. Click here to see a graphic of open trenching and boring construction processes.
For Phase 2 construction, we will continue to use the temporary material storage area located on the west side of White Bear Avenue, south of Burke Avenue. Click here to see a map that shows the temporary materials storage areas.
We will notify landowner, businesses and residents before we start construction.
During construction, you may experience the following:
- Marking of utility lines and “potholing” to verify their locations.
- Partial or complete road closures
- Traffic control measures, including detours.
- Potential changes to residential and business access.
- Elevated noise during construction and testing.
We will work to reduce inconveniences during this work, and we will restore the work areas to community-approved guidelines.
If you experience issues related to our construction, we want to hear from you. Please contact us directly at 833-676-4369 or via email at Info@XcelEnergyNEMetroGasProject.com.