What’s happening in your neighborhood
Xcel Energy is replacing approximately 12 miles of natural gas infrastructure in Ramsey County for the Northeast Metro Natural Gas Project. This project is located in the communities of Maplewood, North St. Paul, Little Canada and Roseville.
Construction began in spring 2019 and is expected to be completed in fall 2022:
- Phase 1 (2019) — Century Avenue, south of Larpenteur Avenue, to County Road B and Prosperity Road.
- Phase 2 (2020) — County Road B and Prosperity Road to County Road B and Rice Street.
- Phases 3 and 4 (2021 and 2022) – County Road B and Rice Street to County Road C and Hamline Avenue.
This project is being constructed as part of Xcel Energy’s commitment to system revitalization and allows us to continue to provide the safe, reliable natural gas service our customers expect.
To construct the project, we install the natural gas lines by open trenching and boring. Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line in the trench.
Boring involves clearing an underground pathway through which a natural gas line is pulled or drilled.
Before placing natural gas lines into a trench or bore, sections of pipe are welded together and inspected by x-ray. Click here to see a graphic of open trenching and boring construction processes.
For Phase 2 construction, we will continue to use the temporary material storage area located on the west side of White Bear Avenue, south of Burke Avenue. Click here to see a map that shows the temporary materials storage areas.
We will notify landowner, businesses and residents before we start construction.
During construction, you may experience the following:
- Marking of utility lines and “potholing” to verify their locations.
- Partial or complete road closures
- Traffic control measures, including detours.
- Potential changes to residential and business access.
- Elevated noise during construction and testing.
We will work to reduce inconveniences during this work, and we will restore the work areas to community-approved guidelines.