What’s happening in your neighborhood
We are replacing 12 miles of natural gas infrastructure in Ramsey County for the Northeast Metro Natural Gas Project.
Construction began in spring 2019 and is expected to be completed in fall 2022:
- Phase 1 (2019) — Century Avenue, south of Larpenteur Avenue, to County Road B and Prosperity Road.
- Phase 2 (2020) — County Road B and Prosperity Road to County Road B and Rice Street.
- Phase 3 (2021) — County Road B and Rice Street to County Road B and Lexington Avenue.
- Phase 4 (2022) — County Road B and Lexington Avenue to County Road C and Hamline Avenue.
This project is being constructed as part of our commitment to system revitalization and allows us to continue to provide the safe, reliable natural gas service you expect.
We will install the natural gas lines by open trenching and boring. Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line in the trench.
Boring involves clearing an underground pathway between two endpoints through which a natural gas line is pulled or drilled.
Before placing natural gas lines into a trench or bore, sections of pipe are welded together and inspected by x-ray. Click here to see a graphic of open trenching and boring construction processes.
For Phase 3 construction, we will continue to use the temporary material storage area located on the west side of White Bear Avenue, south of Burke Avenue. Click here to see a map that shows the temporary materials storage areas.
We will notify landowner, businesses and residents before we start construction.
Construction & Restoration
During construction, you may experience the following:
- Marking of utility lines and “potholing” to verify their locations.
- Partial or complete road closures
- Traffic control measures, including detours.
- Potential changes to residential and business access.
- Elevated noise during construction and testing.
We will work to reduce inconveniences during this work, and we will restore the work areas to preconstruction conditions.
- We will temporarily restore previous work areas after construction. Areas may remain temporarily restored until warmer weather returns.
- Restoration will be completed by specialized contractors.
- We will provide updates about anticipated impacts and restoration timelines.